This common substance will poison your dog

This common substance will poison your dog

A substance found in chewing gum could be deadly for your dog.

It’s a common substance found in chewing gum, mints, and nut butters, and it also could have fatal consequences for your dog if he or she finds it.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has issued a new warning about xylitol, an artificial sweetener found in a number of products that causes big problems for canines.

Xylitol is actually quite beneficial for humans, particularly when it comes to dental care, but the ingredient causes the pancreas of dogs to secrete insulin. This results in a sudden drop in blood sugar that can result in death. There have been several reports of dog poisonings, prompting the FDA to issue the warning.

Xylitol poisoning symptoms include vomiting, as well as symptoms associated with a drop in blood sugar, like decreased activity, collapse, seizures. Owners who think their dogs have consume xylitol should take the dog to a vet or an emergency animal hospital immediately. If you think your dog has consumed the substance but isn’t showing symptoms, you should take the dog anyway as it can take 12 to 24 hours for hypoglycemia symptoms to set in.

To avoid poisoning your dog, check labels and avoid products with xylitol in them, or simply keep them out of reach of pets.

“FDA wants to know if your pet encounters safety issues with a product, and/or unanticipated harmful effects that you believe are related to a product,” the statement reads. “Each report is evaluated to determine how serious the problem is and, if necessary, additional information may be requested from the person who filed the report. You can report problems related to both human and pet foods and treats at the Safety Reporting Portal.”

Like This Post? ... Then Like Our Page :)



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *