A woman died from a flesh-eating disease in Indianapolis, and authorities are trying to get to the bottom of what happened.
A 50-year-old Indianapolis woman has died two months after she got a disease known as necrotizing fasciitis, or flesh-eating bacteria, while she was on vacation in Florida. Carol Martin died from the bacterial skin infection, but her husband Richard argues that if doctors had diagnosed her correctly, she could have been saved.
The disease can kill in a relatively short period of time. However, an accurate diagnosis allows medical professionals to take steps to save the life of a patient using a combination of antibiotics and surgery. In fact, a Florida man was able to survive a flesh-eating bacteria infection last year and did not even have to lose a limb.
In that case, doctors had quickly diagnosed him with the disease after he went to the hospital complaining about some blisters on his foot. They were able to remove infected flesh in time. However, Carol went to the doctor twice, but she was not correctly diagnosed at first, and when doctors realized she had necrotizing fasciitis they sent her back to the hospital, but by then her condition had gotten worse.
“Necrotizing fasciitis (NF), commonly known as flesh-eating disease, is an infection that results in the death of the body’s soft tissue,” reads an excerpt from Wikipedia. “It is a severe disease of sudden onset that spreads rapidly. Symptoms include red or purple skin in the affected area, severe pain, fever, and vomiting. The most commonly affected areas are the limbs and perineum.”